American King James Bible
"Where there is no vision, the people perish"
"To succeed in your mission, you must have single-minded devotion to your goal."
"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved."
Diana Scharf Hunt
"Goals are dreams with deadlines."
"The achievements of an organization are the results of the combined effort of each individual."
Charles de Gaulle
"Deliberation is a function of the many; action is the function of one."
Want to know how it's done?
Purchase our detailed TQP™ guide, including sample plan, documenting the Total Quality Planning™ process. This pragmatic how-to book contains detailed instructions on executing John's breakthrough Strategic Planning process.
Everything you need from soup to nuts.
Better yet, let us facilitate!
"Actions lead to fulfilling vision.
Vision drives today's actions."
Why are you taking this action now?
Ask anyone in the company why they are doing what they are doing and you should get one of two answers:
- In 85% to 95% of the time we are dealing with day-to-day operations. We are dealing with the legacy of commitments to customers - i.e. making payroll.
- The remaining 5% to 15% of the time we are looking to produce Key Results - results, objectives, outcomes that will make the future different - hopefully better.
Why do you want to produce these key results?
Because the impact of accomplishing key results will literally Change the status quo. Strategic goals are strategic because they change the status quo.
Why do you want to change the status quo?
Not change for change's sake but because without a change in the status quo we won't be able to execute our Product / Market Strategy - the articulation of what markets we want to be serving in the future, the products and services future customers will buy, as well as the size, scale, profitability, geographic coverage, technology, and other elements of our future.
Why this Strategy?
Because that's how we choose to achieve our Mission - the affirmation of:
- Who we want to be within 3-5 years
- What we want to do within 3-5 years
- Who we want to be doing it for within 3-5 years
- Why we do it.
Why this Mission?
Because that is how we are fulfilling our Vision over the next 3-5 years.
Why this Vision?
Because all great organizations are grounded with vision - a:
- Core ideology that identifies the small set of core values that are shared by all employees and the organization's core purpose that spans the decades.
... and an
- Envisioned Future: with an overreaching, big hairy audacious goal that will take decades to achieve - if ever. Along with the BHag is a vivid description of what things would look like should we/when we achieve that goal.
Why strategic planning?
Because tactics without vision doesn't work. Merely working harder doesn't help.
Having lost sight of our objective we redoubled our efforts.
Because vision without tactics doesn't work. Merely dreaming doesn't make it so.
Without vision the people fail
So much for why - how do I build the Progress Pyramid™?
Every year gather together a strategic planning team of the 5-12 people that will create the future and, as importantly, live with the consequences of that future.
Applying all their passion and competence over two days; they build and/or rebuild the Progress Pyramid from the bottom up by repeatedly asking how.
- How do we fulfill Vision? - by achieving our Mission
- How do we achieve our Mission? - by executing our Product / Market Strategy
- How do we execute our Product / Market Strategy? - with Strategic Goals
- Will the status quo get the job done? - it never is, hence the need for goals
- How do our strategic goals change the status quo? - by producing results
- How will we produce results? - by taking action in the here and now.
Why wait? Myrna Associates can guarantee you will have a strategic plan in only two days! Check out our strategic planning services today.